Alexandria Shop
  
Search  for 
Gadsby's Tavern
Larger Photo   

Gadsby's Tavern

$21.99

Learn all about Gadsby’s Tavern, the center of daily life in late-18th and early-19th-century Alexandria. Operated by John Gadsby from 1796 to 1808, the tavern served both local citizens and travelers on their way to the nation’s new capital. Gadsby’s was a venue for dancing assemblies, performances, and celebratory dinners. Among its most famous patrons were George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. By the early 20th-century, the tavern buildings were in danger of being demolished. Saved from the wrecking ball in 1929 by American Legion Post 24, Gadsby’s became the cornerstone of Alexandria’s historic preservation movement. In 1972, the American Legion donated the site to the City of Alexandria. Following a full restoration, Gadsby’s reopened as part of America’s bicentennial celebration.


Quantity  

    
Item # 004001
 

We suggest these other popular items...
  
Alexandria, VAGadsbys Ornament (2004)  
 

Alexandria, VA
$21.99

  

Gadsbys Ornament (2004)
$16.00

   
City of Alexandria, VA
Powered By:  TAM Retail Logo  Terms of Service